Tube bundle may be removed for ease of cleaning and replacement. Removable tube bundle exchangers further can be categorized in floating-head and U-tube exchanger.
It consists of a stationery tube sheet which is clamped with the shell flange. At the opposite end of the bundle, the tubes may expand into a freely riding floating-head or floating tube sheet. A floating head cover is bolted to the tube sheet and the entire bundle can be removed for cleaning and inspection of the interior
The floating tubes sheet is clamped between the floating head and a clamp ring. The ring which is split in half to permit dismantling is placed at the back of the tube sheet shows the details of a split ring assembly. The floating tubes sheet is kept slightly smaller in diameter than the inside diameter of shell so as to withdraw the entire tube bundle from channel end. The channel is provided with inlet and outlet connection for tubes side fluid. The shell is closed by shell cover or bonnet on a floating head side. Shell cover at the floating head end is larger than the other end so as to enable the tubes to be placed as near as possible to the edge of the fixed tube sheet. The tube sheet along with floating head is free to move and take the differential thermal expansion between the shell and the tubes bundle.
It is widely used in chemical industry and suitable for rigorous duties associated with high pressure and temperature and also with dirty fluids.
Removable Tube Bundle Shell and Tube Bundle Heat Exchanger
- Used as steam superheaters
- Phase change units (Reboilers)
- Power Generation
- Marine Applications
- Pulp and Paper
- Air Processing and Compressor Cooling
- Metals and Mining
- Industrial Process
- Food, Beverage & Dairy
- Marine / Navy
- Air Processing
- Compressor Cooling
- Petrochemical: Processing & Refining
- Power & Electrical Generation
- Metals and Mining
- Pulp & Paper
Advantages of Tube Bundle Shell and Tube Heat Exchangers:
- The tubes of the exchanger is removable for inspection and mechanical cleaning of outside of the tube.
- It eliminates differential expansion problems.
- Tube bundle is removable; therefore mechanical cleaning is possible on the shell side.
- Attachment of tubes to single tube sheet eliminates the need for differential expansion joint.
- This type is suitable for high pressure.
- High degree of protection from leakage is possible.
- Double tube sheet is possible to provide further protection from leakage.
- High degree of protection against contamination of streams.
- Double tube sheet is possible.
- Mechanical tube side cleaning is possible
Materials Used In Tube Bundle Heat Exchangers:
- Copper Alloy
- Non-Ferrous Copper Alloy
- Nickel Plating
- Stainless Steel
- Carbon Steel
- 316 Stainless Steel
- 304 Stainless Steel